Tutorial System ideas [Updated with initial idea]

This is where anyone that wants to help with coding/designing the upgrade to boyinaband can come and get involved!

Tutorial System ideas [Updated with initial idea]

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Alrightly, I've collated it all together, sorry it's a bit big but I like to be thorough - have a read through and let me know if you think it's promising, if there's anything you'd change and if you can think of any other features that would make this thing awesome!

Remember: This is just an initial idea, don't feel what I say has to go, if you have ideas you think are better then please share them! :)

Pages the system needs

Tutorial viewing page
    Tutorial submission page
    Tutorial editing page (for mods/admin)
    Tutorial search page
    Tutorials home page
    Tag editing page

Tags/Categories the system needs

I think having 3 main tag/category types would make for a really useful sorting method:

Format - the software/hardware/techniques used in the tutorial e.g. Reason, Logic, Mic recording techniques, MicroKorg

Genre - e.g. Drum and Bass, Trance (If possible, have sub-genres which automatically select their parent genres e.g. selecting Liquid Drum and Bass would select Drum and Bass).

Technique - The technique being taught e.g. Lead Synth, Guitar Recording, Mastering, Music theory.

Multiple tags can be selected for Format, Genre and Technique.

Other Tags

Boyinaband Tutorials (displayed with a different colour, this can be used to show the official BIAB tutorials, since a few people have expressed concern that they might not be able to find them easily.)

Moderator Approved (for when a mod has confirmed it's a high quality tutorial) - Should this display the name of the moderator that approved it?

Video/Text - Whether the tutorial is a video tutorial, text tutorial or both.

Here are more in-depth descriptions of what each page would need.

Tutorial Page Content

Title
    Tutorial Author - clickable link to their website/youtube channel
    Tutorial Submitter - clickable link to their biab profile
    Embed the video for the tutorial if it's a video.
    Link to the original tutorial.
    Display all tags in an easily understandable and clear format.
    Rating system (5 Stars)
    Next tutorial/Previous tutorial (If it's part of a series of tutorials)
    Related tutorials (Ones with similar tags)
    Related samples/files (That might be useful in the tutorial)
    Comments and Comment Box

Tutorial Submission page Content

The user should be able to input:

Title (Is there any way to automatically generate this from the title of a YouTube page to save time when it's a YT link? Since I assume most tutorials will be YouTube vids.)
    Tutorial Author
    Tutorial Link (Youtube video or Other website if no YT available)
    Tutorial Text or Description (if there is one)
    Format Tags
    Genre Tags
    Technique Tags
    Next/Previous tutorials (link to next previous tuts that are on the boyinaband site)
    Related Tutorials (can choose tutorials that are on the biab site, otherwise they are dynamically generated on the tutorial page)
    Related Samples/Files (Links to any samples/patches etc used in the tutorial)

I think the easiest way to make this would be to cannibalise the wordpress post page (or if there's a video blog theme/plugin that has already done so we could use that) as a starting point.

Then it's just a case of giving the PHPBB3 users permissions for using that part of the wordpress admin page.

Tutorial editing page

Very similar to tutorial submission page, with the ability to change all the above plus:

"Mod Approve" the tutorial - this gives it a stamp and moves it higher up search results
Delete the tutorial.

Tutorial search page

Allows to pick a tag for format, genre and technique, as well as specifying if you want it to be a boyinaband tutorial and if you want it to be a mod approved tutorial.

The tags need to be easy to apply, since that's one of the main reasons for having this system - a good implementation would be similar to this one I saw in the awesome To Do list App "GQueues":

Except instead of "create/add" at the top it might say "search" so you can start typing "ba" and it'll come up with "bass", "backstreet boys" etc in the list.

Should be able to sort by rating, comments, views. Mod Approved tutorials should appear at the top, as should official boyinaband tutorials.

Tutorials Home page

A page for displaying featured tutorials, latest submitted tutorials and popular/most viewed tuts. Maybe use a jquery slider (or something similar) to scroll through the featured tutorials in a cool, tactile way.

The vids should all have the tags displayed near them so people can search quickly too. Maybe have a list of "most searched-for tags" or just "popular tags" for ease of use.

Tag editing page

Wordpress already has an awesome tag editing and category system, maybe we can just copy it for use with the tutorials?

Clarifying the admin/moderator/user access to the tutorial submission back end

Essentially what I have in mind is where the wordpress admin page has the posts, media, links, pages etc. sections down the side

We simply copy the "Posts" section for a "Tutorials" section. That section would be pretty much the same as the posts one.

Users could only see the "Add New" section.

Moderators and Admin could see all 4 sections ("Tutorials", "Add New", "Categories" and "Tutorial Tags")

Other ideas

Have a log of what moderators and admins have done.

Users can submit their own tags, but moderators make sure tags are tidy.

Common misspellings of tags can be easily programmed to be corrected automatically when recognised by a moderator.

Quick tooltips/explanations of what each tag type means should be accessible, since some people might not know what the tag name "Format" refers to etc.

Things to decide on - Let me know your ideas!

How should the tags be ordered? Should the Genre, Technique and Format be tags or categories? How should they be organised in the "Tutorial Tags" admin page?

A way to display all tutorials of a series? Or to tag tutorials as "7 day songs" or "multi-part tutorial"?

Should users be able to edit tutorials they have submitted?

Should users be able to flag submissions to say if they're in the wrong place/tagged incorrectly? How would that system work?

How to name the tutorials so they're SEO friendly? Like the wordpress blogs?

Those are my thoughts, however, it's always good to get other people's ideas too since that can result in completely different concepts, so you can either post your ideas of how you'd like the tutorial system to work here, or start bouncing ideas off each other. Whichever you'd prefer :)
Hi! I'm Dave from boyinaband. Here's what the band sounds like:
http://soundcloud.com/youandwhatarmy
Dave
King Dave

Re: Tutorial System ideas.

Postby JannikR » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:07 pm

Sometimes simplicity is the best option, and I think it is in this case. My (very simple) idea would be to just add another part to the forum called "Tutorials" (or 'synth guides to success' to make it a little more glittery) and possibly have 3 different categories, Dave Tutorials, User Tutorials and, err, Youtube Tutorials. Or possibly merge the two latter together.
This would make it easy to post tutorials (and possibly get feedback on them) and easy to find too.
The flaw in this though, is the rating system.. I'm not sure how that could be solved :)
http://soundcloud.com/phaselabs/your-explosion-my-mind-e
Phaeleh wrote:Yeah man, I can write in all other software (except logic, which is the work of satan)
JannikR
Senior Management

Postby izotonik » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 pm

divide tutorials by genre like compression, eq, daw, etc.
in case you want to use wordpress:
use tag feature. for example, clicking on the tag reason allows to find all available reason tutorials.
there are wordpress plugins to star rate posts and videos, as well as for listing the most popular, most viewed, etc..
some themes allow feature hilights with jquery sliders.
create an easy to access main menu or sidemenu.

for visitors feedback and discussion imo it's better to use comments powered by disqus.com or intensedebate.com. it's very easy to moderate and less vulnerable to spam.

edit - maybe include music theory videos and instruments playing tutorials too
izotonik
Knight of Noise (Pink)

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 pm

JannikR wrote:Sometimes simplicity is the best option, and I think it is in this case. My (very simple) idea would be to just add another part to the forum called "Tutorials" (or 'synth guides to success' to make it a little more glittery) and possibly have 3 different categories, Dave Tutorials, User Tutorials and, err, Youtube Tutorials. Or possibly merge the two latter together.
This would make it easy to post tutorials (and possibly get feedback on them) and easy to find too.
The flaw in this though, is the rating system.. I'm not sure how that could be solved :)

There are some good ideas there, I think making it clear which ones are official boyinaband tutorials would be useful, but I think simply having a part of the forum would make it harder to do the ratings and the tagging/categorisation of the tutorials, dynamic related tutorials etc which would make the system considerably easier to search when there are a lot of tutorials in there.

izotonik wrote:divide tutorials by genre like compression, eq, daw, etc.
in case you want to use wordpress:
use tag feature. for example, clicking on the tag reason allows to find all available reason tutorials.
there are wordpress plugins to star rate posts and videos, as well as for listing the most popular, most viewed, etc..
some themes allow feature hilights with jquery sliders.
create an easy to access main menu or sidemenu.

for visitors feedback and discussion imo it's better to use comments powered by disqus.com or intensedebate.com. it's very easy to moderate and less vulnerable to spam.

edit - maybe include music theory videos and instruments playing tutorials too

definitely agree with tagging/categorising the vids, I think it's pretty much vital.
That star rating would be ideal - if there's a plugin to allow for videos as a separate content type then we could probably tack a few plugins together to make the tutorial system.
Most viewed/popular is also a good idea, maybe add that to the sidebar.
Feature hilights is a good idea, and a jquery slider would be fantastic for scrolling through featured/related tuts.
Easy access main menu would be the "Tutorials" link in the nav bar.
I'll take those comment suggestions into account, and if we have decent tagging/categorisation then music theory and instrument recording will fit right in nicely.

I'll post up my ideas now :)
Dave
King Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 pm

I just posted the first draft of my ideas - I put it at the top of the thread so it's nice and easy to see :) Let me know your thoughts!
Dave
King Dave

Re: Tutorial System ideas [Updated with initial idea]

Postby ReSet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 am

Are you planning on having it presented in a forum style, like this currently?
I think it would be harder to find tutorials if it was like a forum, what with older tutorials getting buried by newer ones, and just having endless lists, all with the tagline "lead synth in reason" or what have you.
JannikR wrote:However, if I hated aubergines because I want to be part of a "gang"/social community where it's just simply cool to hate purple fruits & vegetables - that's just called being retarded.

http://soundcloud.com/reset
ReSet
Lord of Leads (Solo)

Postby alexc » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:26 am

ReSet wrote:Are you planning on having it presented in a forum style, like this currently?
I think it would be harder to find tutorials if it was like a forum, what with older tutorials getting buried by newer ones, and just having endless lists, all with the tagline "lead synth in reason" or what have you.

This is why I'd create the 'master archive of insane tutorials!' or something along the lines of this. :lol:
alexc
Lord of Leads (Solo)

Postby izotonik » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:47 am

Dave wrote:Image

that's possible. I guess it will all depends on the chosen theme..
for ex, all woothemes even the free ones, allow extra customization and add new menus on admin page. so I guess is not needed to hack the admin page itself.

there are other good cms options. like eleanor (free) http://demo.eleanor-cms.ru/index.html
open slaed http://www.slaed.net/ or datalife engine, which allow flexible user rankings and permissions, module access. they work as a blog+forum all in one. very seo friendly, allow categories, tags, user registration, pub adverts, etc.
izotonik
Knight of Noise (Pink)

Postby ArchDemonXIII » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:58 am

couple thoughts:

Marking which mod approved an item is a bad idea for public view... people tend to have favorites, and where that backfires is that someone might miss exactly what they're looking for because a non-favored mod favored it first. Not to mention on the mod side, this could end up getting competitive which is a bad idea. Can also lead to people only wanting to go to a particular mod for a question, which can become a burden to that mod.
On the same token, it's probably a good idea to make who approved it viewable by the other mods.. that way if someone is unknowingly approving stuff that's not up to snuff, it can be addressed. Personally I think it might be a good idea to use a 2 stage approval.. if 1 mod approves it, it's "favored" if 2 or more approve it, it's officially "approved"

the automatically importing the youtube name thing is kind of a bad idea, as sometimes you find awesome tutorials with less than descriptive titles. Mods could also be responsible for making sure tutorials are appropriately named by technique.

as for the multi part tutorial thing, how about a link button like what currently exists here for linking URL or soundcloud? that way when you get to the bottom of a tutorial, you click the link and it brings you right to the next part. Can also be used to link to related material that may be covered in a tutorial for a different genre. for example if you find a cool tutorial on EQ'ing, and but there's a tutorial on DnB that fleshes out the information well, you could hit "see also: [link]"
If I've commented on your work, reciprocation is appreciated.
http://soundcloud.com/archdemon13
ArchDemonXIII
Squire of Sound (Stereo)

Postby AudioState » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:12 pm

by ArchDemonXIII on Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:58 am

Marking which mod approved an item is a bad idea for public view... people tend to have favorites, and where that backfires is that someone might miss exactly what they're looking for because a non-favored mod favored it first. Not to mention on the mod side, this could end up getting competitive which is a bad idea. Can also lead to people only wanting to go to a particular mod for a question, which can become a burden to that mod.
On the same token, it's probably a good idea to make who approved it viewable by the other mods.. that way if someone is unknowingly approving stuff that's not up to snuff, it can be addressed. Personally I think it might be a good idea to use a 2 stage approval.. if 1 mod approves it, it's "favored" if 2 or more approve it, it's officially "approved"

+1
AudioState
Preset Peasant (Factory)

Next

Return to Site Development