I thought this was a trance competition - DJChaotik.

This competition has ended and the winners have been announced.

I thought this was a trance competition - DJChaotik.

Postby ChaotikDubstep » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Only joking. If this bass doesn't make your subs explode, and cause a full scale nuclear holocaust, then I suppose I've not done my job correctly!
http://soundcloud.com/chaotik/i-thought-this-was-a-trance
image uploader

Pretty Basic sub here - 3 layers of sin wave, with very slight distortion (under T Tube). Important here is the "voicing" tab with "monorotate" and "Legato triller" clicked ON, this allows a cool pitch bend effect, where you layer notes and it changes the pitch without retriggering the note! And as you can see in the bottom left corner, I have a social life ;).

image host
Here is my first bass sound. I chose three wavetables I found good, and dropped them all an octave. The Modulation Osc in the bottom left is really important to my sound, it modulates the wavetable position of the third oscillator, and also the frequency of the "daft" filter. Because I'm also modulating the "daft" filter with an LFO, this provides a constantly evolving bassline. The two inserts at the bottoms are different distortions for each filter. At the top right the C-Tube is MORE distortion, and the Dim Ex(on default settings) next to it makes the sound wider and louder, without adding any messy harmonics.

upload images

Filter one is where the sound gets more interesting. LFO 6 is just set to Sync - 1/1, and provides a very slow wobble, LFO 7 is the interesting one. LFO 7 applies varying amounts of feedback into the comb filter, giving a robotic screaming sound. The blue line around the 'rate' dial at the bottom left means it's controlled by an envelope, just drag the little arrow icon to the right of 2 ENV to the box beneath the dial. This means that LFO 7 wobbles faster and faster as the note is held longer, giving a cool changing effect. ENV 2 is just set to the default value.

hosting images

This is my effect channel for BOTH wobbles(but not sub bass). Adding a fruity vocoder widens the sound even more, and turning the dial to "male" makes the bass even bassier than it was before. Wow, thats a LOT of bass. The rather strange EQ is due to the fact I did not want the wobbles to peak at the same value as the snare, and I also removed an unpleasant "ringing" frequency. I removed all the frequencies below around 70Hz to allow the sub some room.

image hosting

Here's my second bass, and this one uses that "modulation osc" again for the exact same job. The inserts at the bottom are just average distortion, and the T-Tube and Dim Expander are basically the same as the first wobble bass. Overall, very similiar to the first bass, and not much new here.

free image uploader

Here again I use an envelope to control the rate of the LFO, meaning it wobbles faster and faster the longer the note is held. This gives a pretty cool effect, but changing the rate of the wobbles is by no means a new technique. I hope I helped, any questions, or anything I missed out, please post down below!

Link to my youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DJChaotik/
ChaotikDubstep
Preset Peasant (Factory)

Re: I thought this was a trance competition - DJChaotik.

Postby my 8 inch » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Brutal stuff man : ) lovin it! ;)
my 8 inch
Preset Peasant (Premium)

Postby Dj Camou » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:13 am

Nice Trak man, did u use microsoft sam as tthe vocals? lol
Dj Camou
Preset Peasant (Premium)

Postby ChaotikDubstep » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Yup, I sampled microsoft sam 8-). I feel pretty cool right now.
ChaotikDubstep
Preset Peasant (Factory)

Return to Dirty Bass Composition Competition - [Closed]