Redrum or Kong?

Tell us how you got that killer synth effect, why you love your sequencer of choice or that you are sick of hearing the same lame preset every time you load up malstrom ¬_¬

Redrum or Kong?

Postby kikmenow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you guys think is better, Redrum drum computer or Kong Drum designer? Personally I prefer Kong Drum designer as it allows me to link samples, modify and filter each one individually before the output and I prefer the visual display.

What do you guys use in Reason and why? :)
I have the same guitar as Dave does in his introduction video. It's because we're cool.
kikmenow
Squire of Sound (Mono)

Re: Redrum or Kong?

Postby Rmonik » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:26 pm

I just use kong because i can HP filter with it. Otherwise i gotta go with enormous imagers to use a hp filter...
Rmonik
Le Facetious Lemon Key Lord

Postby RustyRoulette » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm

I usually put all my kicks in one redrum unit, snares in other one, bla bla bla...
i just mostly do it to clean up the routings n stuff
RustyRoulette
Preset Peasant (Premium)

Postby kikmenow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow, lots of redrums? Isn't that a bit messy to work with though?
I have the same guitar as Dave does in his introduction video. It's because we're cool.
kikmenow
Squire of Sound (Mono)

Postby RustyRoulette » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 pm

not really , most of the times i have : kick, snare , hh , fx/rev/crashes
RustyRoulette
Preset Peasant (Premium)

Postby kikmenow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Mmm nice Idea I guess. but then you have to layer it manually? With Kong you can link pads easy peasy :)

I guess it's down to preference though, it must suit the way you work :D
kikmenow
Squire of Sound (Mono)

Postby Rmonik » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I do it like this: create a mixer just below my main mixer and a kong beneath that, then i rout all the different parts to a channel in the second mixer. After that, i have different combinators that i use as send effects and i put each of them on a different aux of the drum mixer. The combinators are things i made earlier, a drum processor, a snare processor and a high end processor (just some reverbing, eq'ing and widening on that last one). Then i go around tweaking one instance at the time. Like that i can see what devices are for which sample and so on without flipping it.
Rmonik
Le Facetious Lemon Key Lord

Postby ReSet » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 am

Seeing as I don't have R5 yet, redrum :P

If I did have acces to Kong though, I'd probably still use redrum for the sequencing, but route the gate outs to the Kong, because I'm more used to working with the redrum sequencer. And I like the pattern sequencer as well, programming beats on the fly :)
JannikR wrote:However, if I hated aubergines because I want to be part of a "gang"/social community where it's just simply cool to hate purple fruits & vegetables - that's just called being retarded.

http://soundcloud.com/reset
ReSet
Lord of Leads (Solo)

Return to Sound Engineering / Soundscaping